FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Changing chart types

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
kneighbour View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneighbour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing chart types
    Posted: 20 Feb 2005 at 11:59am

Here is a further argument for saving default chart settings for each chart type.

I like to use candlesticks - so I have setup my default template with colourful candlesticks, and with a few indicators displayed (RSI, MACD, SIROC, and bollinger bands, plus a Chandelier exit). Looks great.

Now I want to look at the Gann swing chart. So I simply change chart types. What a mess! All the indicators have been changed to swing charts as well - and the price chart is unreadable. So you have to remove all the indicators from the price chart. The other ones (not in the price window) could also be deleted - I do not think that they are displaying useful information. So you delete all indicators. You then have a good looking swing chart.

Then you go back to candlesticks. Of course it has defaulted to black and white and all the indicators are gone as we had to delete them. So either we go through the whole business of setting everything up again - or I load the default template.

But this is not as easy as it sounds. You cannot "Applly template" with the Default Template. This only happens if you reload the chart. In practice, what I have done is made up a template that is pretty much the same as the default template, and saved it. Then I reload that every time.

And now let us suppose that I want to do this with every trading candidate that I am looking at. And that I might also want to switch back and forth from candlesticks to swing a couple of times on each chart to verify certain things.

No doubt by this time you would lall have done what I have done - removed everything from the charts and simply suffered to use the black and white default candlesticks.

Is there some way around this problem?

Gameboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gameboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2005 at 12:36am

You could have lots of different chart styles open at once, press the little link icon between the ‘symbol’ box and time frame drop down menu, then type in the stock you want. Every chart will load with that stock in it, then flick between various charts at will using the little tabs below.

Peter View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2005 at 9:33am
You could save a copy of your default template to your desktop. That way you would be able to "Apply Template" your default template.
 Post Reply Post Reply