FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Training mode default start date

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
pipsqueek View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote pipsqueek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training mode default start date
    Posted: 19 Feb 2005 at 10:28am

I'm having trouble with getting the default start date in training mode to stay at my chosen start date.

I have  set my start date using the training mode date window on the bottom LHS of the screen  and I have also used the training tab in the time axis properties dialogue box.

Both methods set the training date to the specified date, BUT when I click off the training mode icon to see how the stock performed to date and then click training mode back on again, it resets itself to a different date.

Does anyone know how I can change the DEFAULT training mode date so that it remembers my specified start date?

Thanks in advance....

failing to plan is planning to fail.
SimonSavva View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote SimonSavva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2005 at 4:51pm

Training mode appears to always go back to half way of the currently displayed plot. Ie. I have the same problem.

Add it to your list Pete?

Edited by SimonSavva
Peter View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2005 at 3:40pm
The reason we have it appearing in the middle is because if it turned on at a date that was past the visible range then it'd appear as though the training mode didn't do anything.

But I see your point. Will think about it.
pipsqueek View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote pipsqueek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2005 at 7:38pm

Thanks for your reply, Pete

When training mode is engaged, the colour of the screen changes. At least it does on my computer.

If a user saw a different coloured screen, indiating training mode was engaged, but didn't see any data bars, then they really ought to wonder about where their start date was with respect to the visible range.

In my opinion there is FAR more inconvenience and wasted time associated with continually fixing a start date than there would be with specifying the occasional date outside the visible range.

Thanks for thinking about the issue ....

failing to plan is planning to fail.
Tim Allen View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tim Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2005 at 10:03am
Originally posted by pipsqueek

When training mode is engaged, the colour of the screen changes. At least it does on my computer.

If a user saw a different coloured screen, indiating training mode was engaged, but didn't see any data bars, then they really ought to wonder about where their start date was with respect to the visible range.

When we were first discussing the training mode, we were thinking about a new user of BullCharts who is exploring the interface for the first time. When they press the Training Mode button, one of three things can happen:

1. The training mode bar appears somewhere inside the current visible date range, with a draggable Start Date, making the effect of the button obvious - hopefully the purpose isn't too hard to figure out either.
  2. The training mode bar appears somewhere to the left of the current visible date range. The button is apparently a 'erase all my data and turn the screen green' function. The effect is still obvious, but the purpose isn't very clear at all.
  3. The training mode bar appears somewhere to the right of the current visible date range. There is no visible effect whatsoever, so the user concludes 'this button is entirely useless', and they miss out on what might be a useful feature.
In the interests of making it easy for people to explore the BullCharts interface, we chose to ensure that Option #1 was always the case. There's probably a nice compromise between 'making the functionality obvious' and 'making the functionality useful', but we haven't had time to figure out what it might be yet.
Peter View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2005 at 5:14pm
Ok, this all work much nicer in the upcoming 2.5.0 version now. 
 Post Reply Post Reply