BullCharts Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > BullCharts > BullCharts discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Text Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
scalper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote scalper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Text Problem
    Posted: 14 Aug 2005 at 6:43pm

Text saves, but the problem is i can't seem to fix the text at any point on the screen.

On leverage stocks i put the amount on the screen, in a few days time you can't see it any more due to it moving off the screen due to the price movement of the stock.

Can i fix it to the centre, top or bottom of the screeen.

If not can this be included in the next upgrade, it is very frustrating.

Hope i have explaineed the problem clearly.

"Oxygen is the next best thing to money"
Tim Allen View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tim Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2005 at 10:34am
Text, like every other drawing tool, stays where it's put.

If I understand you correctly, what you want is a kind of date-marker that is positioned on a particular date, but whose text floats vertically so that it's always visible on-screen?

Out of curiosity, what period chart is this, where your entire screen is only a few days wide?
scalper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote scalper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2005 at 4:20pm

Tim, not good explaining myself.

I use alot of text, eg margin requirements, major sharholders etc.

I wish to view these on the screen at the same position, eg Fixed in the  left hand corner. So if you zoom in,out, or go to monthly it is in the same position, it does not move when another days data is added.

In "Metastock" text automatically anchors to date, you can opt out of that option which gives you the situation as above.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer, sorry to mention the Meta word.

Must admit i do love the ease of your software and your continual effort to keep upgrading.

My point is not critism, it's just hopefully helping to make a terrific product a smidge better.

Your thoughts.

Scalper

Tim Allen View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tim Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2005 at 4:13pm
Thanks - I'm just trying to be as specific as possible.

I guess if you don't need the text to be anywhere in particular (as long as it's visible), could you use a 'notes' field appearing in a side-bar or similar? I'm envisioning some kind of panel like the Security Manager or BullCharts that you could bring up, and it would store whatever notes you wanted about whatever security was in the current chart. As you changed from one symbol to another, the panel would load whatever notes you'd made about that particular symbol.

I'm not promising anything - I don't know how difficult such a scheme would be to implement - but if such a thing were possible, would it suit you?
chart rider View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote chart rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2005 at 7:15pm

If I can be allowed to jump in, I reckon a notes field would be quite useful.  Imagine if it looked and behaved like the notes function in MS Outlook, where the note pad could be sized and dragged anywhere - now that would be good.

CR

scalper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote scalper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2005 at 8:45pm

Chart Rider - Jump in, that's what makes a great forum.

Tim, i am sure your idea is excellent, but in the short term i would be happy if.

1) For small notes eg. Loan margins. "Man5%" i use on a yellow background and have on every stock, Thus when flicking through the top 100 and i see someething that takes my fancy i know exactly what loan requirements are available instead of looking it up elsewhere. For a day trader very important. I also put little notes also highligted, takeover speculation, Joe blogs holds x% etc.

I like my charts to be of the same format, thus put them in the same place on everychart, eg Left hand corner, but want them to stay there, permantley, regardles of flicking from daily to weekly or when extra data is loaded. When typing the text i would like an option box that allows this to happen, otherwise it will move when extra data is loaded.

For larger text documents I just minimise the document, but would like the document also to have the above function.

For me this system would be fine, but i am very basic in my needs.

Cheers

Scalper

Tim Allen View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tim Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2005 at 10:53am
Originally posted by scalper

1) For small notes eg. Loan margins. "Man5%" i use on a yellow background and have on every stock, Thus when flicking through the top 100 and i see someething that takes my fancy i know exactly what loan requirements are available instead of looking it up elsewhere. For a day trader very important. I also put little notes also highligted, takeover speculation, Joe blogs holds x% etc.

Ah... I think I see what you're getting at - BullCharts text notes are specific to a particular security, date, and value, but you're looking for something more like digital post-it notes - something to keep track of information in general that's not specific to a particular security, date, or price.

There are lots of good general-information-tracking programs out there, many of which are very much like digital post-it notes (such as the Outlook notes function Chart Rider mentioned). I'm hesitant to ask BullSystems to work on adding a half-baked information-manager to BullCharts when there's already so many good products on the market.
scalper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote scalper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2005 at 11:43am

Tim, i understand that i am not good at explaining myself.

However, i did not ask for some half baked information-manager, and we seem to be going around in circles.

1) I am very happy with the text set-up.

2) Can you look into having the same option that metastock has regarding being able to save the text in the same position.

That's all, an optionable box that you check, or uncheck when you type your text, nothing more.

If it can't be done that's fine, to me it would be extremly beneficial.

Scalper

Tim Allen View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tim Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 10:26am
I appreciate that that's the simplest solution you'd be happy with, but I'm also wondering what the long-term, best possible solution would be, for the maximum benefit of all BullCharts users everywhere, rather than just your particular scenario.

I'll add your suggestion to our wishlist.
etrader View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote etrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 12:13pm

I was also trying to think of something myself here, notes are a great idea.

My thoughts are: why not use the existing BullCharts Security Manager with another column added to write notes, as the dialog box can be stretched out and read from there. One thing I guess, from a programmers perspective is how to use the space most effectively and efficiently. MSOutlook was mentioned, specifically in Outlook2003 there is a coloured flag system, and using this idea in the security manager would be awesome [maybe me only ??] as you could flag stocks in a watchlist from the security manager by colour of importance. Hence, using in combo with a notes list and hopefully the new alerts coming would make the security/bullscan manager a more clever multifuntional masterpiece.

cheers etrader  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>