BullCharts Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > BullCharts > BullScript
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Adding a moving average to existing indicator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
jhubbard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jhubbard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 8:35am
Thanks for the quick reply Maximo.

I didn't do a very good job of explaining what I would like to do with this.  I would actually like to use this as a filter in a tradesim scan, so I don't think it would be possible to limit the sectors on the security tab, as the top sectors would obviously change over time.

I have an existing filter in my tradesim scan that makes sure the sector of the security being assessed is trading above it's 30wk moving average (using loadsymbol(Security.SectorIndex, C)).  I would really like to replace/add to this by making sure it is in the top sectors as defined by your scan.

I agree with your comment on good stocks being distributed through most sectors - not just the top 3.  However my tradesim scan currently returns many more buy signals than I will ever be able to take.  I would like to see what would happen if I filtered out those buy signlas to only those stocks that are currently in the top 3 (or 5 or 7 etc) sectors.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Jeremy.

maximo View Drop Down
BullCharts Guru
BullCharts Guru

Post Options Post Options   Quote maximo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 4:07pm
tradesim scan currently returns many more buy signals than I will ever be able to take.

I think this is generally the case with stocks where you can only ever take a percentage of the trades found with a system, though it's possible with  FX and Indices as they're limited in number.   

To filter by sector performance may require a sort routine, where the code determines the top 3  or 5 sectors by using around 90 comparisons.  ie. 10 sectors x 9 comparisons.  You'd also need to code for the list of stocks in each sector.  That's a lot of work..  The custom indicator(s) with sort code can then be applied as an entry trigger for Tradesim.   

Max

Edited by maximo - 24 Sep 2009 at 4:27pm
jhubbard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jhubbard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 5:23pm
Hi Maximo,

That's kind of the answer I was hoping you would come up with.  Except for the bit where you seem to be saying that there no inbuilt sort (or ranking) routine in bullscript!!  I was hoping this wasn't going to be the case.  Hmmm... this is going to get messy.

Regarding the bit on sector stocks - I'm not sure that I would need to code for the list of stocks that belong to each sector.  I was thinking I could create an indicator that returned the rank of the sector that was passed to it (using security.sectorindex).  Then I could simply create a filter checks that the value returned by the indicator is <= 3.  Or alternatively the indicator could just return true if the sector was in the top x sectors.

Jeremy.

maximo View Drop Down
BullCharts Guru
BullCharts Guru

Post Options Post Options   Quote maximo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2009 at 6:26pm
You could try a TradeSim scan in bullcharts.  It's capable of sorting by an indicator value in the TradeSim Scan [advanced tab].
jhubbard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jhubbard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 9:30am
Thanks Maximo - I hadn't thought of that.  I will give it a try.
Marco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 3:32pm
Maximo, I've always been interested in the way Traderfeed tries to gauge market participation by comparing stocks making fresh 20 day highs versus those making new lows during the week ( which I take to mean fresh 20 day lows).

See here:

http://traderfeed.blogspot.com/2009/11/large-cap-strength-small-cap-weakness.html

Do you think there would be merit for the Bullcharts community to have such an indicator that we could then compare to index's movement?. I guess its another take on A/D. Not sure how difficult this would be to code up?? Given you'd want a reasonable basket of stocks, the XKO might be one we could use.

maximo View Drop Down
BullCharts Guru
BullCharts Guru

Post Options Post Options   Quote maximo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2009 at 2:18pm

It's a good topic covered earlier this year.   When you do the scan for a comparison of stocks versus an Index, the stocks are sorted in order from highest high to lowest low for the period of your choosing.   The stocks at the top of the list forming higher highs, stocks at the bottom forming lower lows.

http://www.bullcharts.com.au/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=561

Edited by maximo - 29 Nov 2009 at 4:41pm
Marco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 9:00am
Originally posted by maximo

It's a good topic covered earlier this year.   When you do the scan for a comparison of stocks versus an Index, the stocks are sorted in order from highest high to lowest low for the period of your choosing.   The stocks at the top of the list forming higher highs, stocks at the bottom forming lower lows.

http://www.bullcharts.com.au/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=561

Excellent. I missed that thread!! I'll take a look.

However, whereas that thread is to pick out particular stocks that are out/under performing, I am looking for an overall "participation" indicator.

That is, if the XAO is making fresh highs, is there an increasing number of its constituent stocks making 20 day highs, or is there less market participation than what we would like to see.

maximo View Drop Down
BullCharts Guru
BullCharts Guru

Post Options Post Options   Quote maximo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 3:29pm
Hi Marco,

You can gauge this by the resulting list by checking how many stocks in the list are above 0.  The number of stocks above 0 will tell you how many are out performing the index.   That's using the RSI or ROC comparison.  I think BullCharts scan  results has a counter in the scan results so you don't even have to count them :)

Edited by maximo - 30 Nov 2009 at 3:32pm
jalna View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote jalna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 8:47pm
maximo !!!! Are you still out there.
I would love to know how to get the names of the sectors to appear on the charts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>