BullCharts Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > BullCharts > TradeSim discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Data integrity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
edstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote edstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Data integrity
    Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 4:06pm

Hi

There appear to be no adjustment factors before 2000, and some of the subsequent adjustment factors are missing. This makes back-testing prior to 2000 essentially useless, and renders backtesting after that time suspect.

Example: AAT undertook a 4:1 share split on 20/9/99. The dataset has a closing price of $4.00 on that date. The next closing price is $1.02 on 6/10/99. A properly adjusted data-set would adjust for this.

The best fix is probably to use Metastock data. However this has its own problems, since it does not allow the data to easily be dividend-adjusted. To see why dividend adjustment is necessary, refer to the following article.

www.trendfollowing.com/whitepaper/Does_trendfollowing_work_on_stocks.pdf

Has enyone else noted this problem and / or obtained a fix? Does anyone know where to purchase dividend-adjusted Metastock data?

scrooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote scrooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2006 at 7:13am
I have noticed problems with the data integrity but I can't offer a solution other than e-mailing info@bullsystems.com.au and asking Brendon for his comments.  The lack of pre 2001 adjustments is one thing, the missing adjustments later than that are inexcusable in my opinion. 

An example is missing name changes in 2006 (MRS/MON, SEE/MUT, TGD/FNT, NMC/IAU).  These were caused by a system problem which also affected RCD/AFG.  RCD/AFG was adjusted some other way because someone  kept e-mailing and asking for something to be done. 

scrooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote scrooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2006 at 1:41pm
Another problem I have found is with NHC which was listed on 16/9/03.  There is data prior to this which is nothing to do with NHC (possibly back door listing?), share price falls from about 5.50 to about 0.50 on the listing date!

And another with VKI capital restructure 12/4/02.

Edited by scrooge
edstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote edstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2006 at 5:59pm

The solution I think is to get data from somwhere else. The list of errors is too high.

I have obtained Metastock data and sucessfully adjusted it.

es

scrooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote scrooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2006 at 8:51am
Shame to have to get data from two sources though isn't it
Jester View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2007 at 5:12pm
Just started using Bullcharts and I am impressed but I am wondering how good is the data quality now.  Does anybody have an opion? The last post in this thread was almost 10 months ago.
scrooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote scrooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2007 at 9:31am
I don't think the errors I have pointed out above have been corrected except NHC.

Reach your own conclusions!
Jester View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2007 at 10:53am
Thanks

Edited by Jester
hellodolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hellodolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2007 at 12:12pm

Hello

I tried the link to your suggested article. Didn't work.

What am I doing wrong?

thks

Post Reply Post Reply