FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

alltrue....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
etrader View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote etrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alltrue....
    Posted: 10 Aug 2005 at 2:40pm

(alltrue(Close > hist(Close, 1),10))

this script is finding me any stocks that close higher 10 days in a row. If I use "anytrue" it would find me stocks that closed higher any of the 10 previous days. [this is only an easy way to explain the example, not a scan i use practically]

My question is: Can I script to find stocks that are "alltrue" as above, with the exception of 'any' 1 of the 10 days. In this case, 90% of the #days I am scanning must meet the criteria [ie. 9 out of 10 days are true].

Sometimes my scans feel too tight, and miss the odd good move. To capture these without increasing the output results too much, I think a solution as above might work for me...

cheers etrader

Edited by etrader
Tim Allen View Drop Down
BullCharts Staff
BullCharts Staff

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tim Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2005 at 5:23pm
I have to say, I'm glad you're not using that scan practically - you'd never buy anything! I had to tone it down to just 5 previous days in order to test my solution. :)

Anyway, something that might not be incredibly obvious: although a criterion such as "Close > hist(close, 1)" is a 'boolean' value, that is it can be either True or False, you can actually treat booleans as numbers: a True boolean value is equivalent to '1' and a False boolean value is equivalent to 0.

Thus, the script you're looking for is:

sum(Close > hist(Close, 1), 10) > 9;

The way it works is this:
  • it evaluates the condition "Close > hist(Close,1)" for each of the past 10 bars, returning a 'True' or 'False' for each of those.
  • it adds all those values together, which effectively gives you a count of the number of 'successes' found - the number of times your condition was found to be true.
  • it compares this count to your minimum number of successes (9).
I hope that all makes sense - coming from a maths/computer science background, sometimes I get caught up in the jargon and forget to explain myself properly. If you've got any questions, please ask!
etrader View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Quote etrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2005 at 9:52pm

that is perfect, exactly how I was imagining, many thanks Tim.

etrader

Post Reply Post Reply